Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VincentG

Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? Empty
PostSubject: Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 am

Hi,
First of all apologies for any ignorance shown.

I recently passed my CBT and have started looking at what bike to get. A couple have caught my eye but not sure where to start. Always liked Cafe Racers and so want to get one. I know you are really meant to build from scratch and customise them yourself but my thought was to buy one as my run around and get used to how it feels etc and maintain that one and have one on the side that I could learn with. I am very un mechanical so its very much a case of learning even the basics. Sorry i know I sound like a bit of an idiot but have been wanting to get one since seeing my grandad play with one when I was a nipper - unfortunately he passed away before passing on any knowledge to me.

I live in Islington, North London - is it ok to get one from Ebay or gumtree? recommended dealers? anyone here have one to sell?
Back to top Go down
mikewirral

PostSubject: Hi   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Vincent
Welcome to the forum.
Buying from E-bay and Gumtree can be OK, but if your knowledge of motorbikes is as limited as you say, you will have to be quite careful or you could end up spending a lot of money on something that could give you problems. Maybe you could enlist the help of someone with some bike savvy to look at potential purchases with you.
Rather than buy a ready made 'cafe racer' as your runaround (and pay a premium for someone else's work) why not decide on what sort of bike you would eventually like and then buy a 'standard' version of that ? Eventually you could convert it, maybe 'a bit at a time'. Say start with the handlebars, progress to the seat / hump etc. and gradually you will complete the transformation, learning all the time. You can ride it during the week and do bits of work at the weekends and have no need to take it off the road.
When you do start you will get plenty of help from folks on here if you need any advice.
Good luck and I hope my comments have been useful.

Cheers

Mike

Back to top Go down
VincentG

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks Mike, really useful- Are they any particular bikes or brands that you think would provide a good degree of flexibility in terms of modifications/transforming for a beginner.
Back to top Go down
mikewirral

PostSubject: Hi   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:15 am

Hi Vincent
As you are a new rider I assume you will be going for a small capacity bike ?
There are plenty of small capacity bikes that would be suitable.
Japanese would probably be favorite as they tend to be well built, reliable and parts are a reasonable price and easy to source.
Have a look at some of the posts in the build section of the forum, plenty of ideas there.
It's possible to give almost any bike a cafe racer look but some work out better than others !
Choose a bike, get yourself a 'Haynes' manual and get the spanners out !! It's not as hard as you think, just take your time and follow the manual for dis-assembly and putting it back together.
It's also a good idea to take loads of photos as you progress - can be helpful later to remind you how it should go together.
Also when you strip off any parts, bag them up and label them - especially nuts and bolts and fixings - there are lots of different sizes etc and it's a nightmare if you just throw them loose in a box !!
I use see through plastic 'freezer bags' that have a panel that you can write on in biro, really helpful down the line.

Good luck

Cheers

Mike

Back to top Go down
VincentG

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 am

Thanks Mike - all the info I need Smile will keep you posted and maybe even upload a picture after I'm done.
Back to top Go down
RussJ

RussJ

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 5:35 am

welcome vince Smile like mike says to start with a Jap bike makes sense as they're pretty reliable (usually Embarassed ) If you try and get one with a single head light and without a fairing you wont have too much hassle if you're trying to go down the easy root of the cafe racer look. Set of clip-ons and a single cafe racer seat and your there............. well nearly , but you get the drift  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?   Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start? Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie to Cafe Racers - where to start?
Page 1 of 1