Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Where can I buy cafe racers?.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fallacy

Where can I buy cafe racers?. Empty
PostSubject: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 pm

So I'm new to cafe racers and I'm not sure where cafe racers are sold?.do they sell them at dealer ships?.if anybody can tell me where to find cafe racers that would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi, OK, welcome to the forum. I think, with respect, that you are missing the ethos of cafe racers.

Cafe racers appeared in the UK in the late 1950's/early 1960's as a youth culture wherby the younger generation rebelled aginst the post second world war austerity of the motorcycle being the 'poor man's transport' and evolved into thier own transport of choice. The teenagers of that era took their father's stock motorcycle and changed it into a symbol of the times.

The whole concept of cafe racers originated at the Ace cafe in London, where the idea was that a biker could race from the Ace Cafe on the North Circular Road in northwest London to the Hanger Lane junction on the North Circular Road and back again before the record on the jukebox had finished. The other goal was to acheive the apochryphal 'ton' i.e. 100 miles per hour, a big task for the bikes of the day!

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_racer for a fuller explanation.

So, you can go on E-bay or look in your local bike magazine and buy a cafe racer, but cafe racers are a life style, not just a bike, and the majority of people on this site build their own from scratch, not just buy them!
Back to top Go down
Fallacy

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 am

Ya the thing is that I know absolutly nothing about bulding anything and I don't want to mess anything up as I so often do.but you said something about a bike magazine where would I find one of those?.at a motorcycle shop?.or news stand or something?.
Back to top Go down
Oncas

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Build it matey, you will get massive satisfaction, there are many engineers that can help you with engine & front end fitment etc, enrol yourself on a motorcycle mechanics course and start designing what appeals to you as an individual, or look on ebay through projects and try and pick up something started.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Fallacy wrote:
Ya the thing is that I know absolutly nothing about bulding anything and I don't want to mess anything up as I so often do.but you said something about a bike magazine where would I find one of those?.at a motorcycle shop?.or news stand or something?.
OK, I can understand if you've never done this before, but you must have an interest in bikes, mates with bikes, even a dad with a bike? There's not much to go wrong and when in doubt ask. Where do you live? There's probably a local bike club you could join who will keep you right.

Didn't mention any magazines, although there is an American mag called Cafe Racer which you can get by subscription depending on where you live. But again, if you seriously want to buy a ready-made cafe racer dial into your local E-bay and just type cafe racer in the search.
Back to top Go down
devonrider

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 9:13 pm

pauliexjr wrote:
the majority of people on this site build their own from scratch, not just buy them!

Interestingly, there was also a similar parallel culture going on in America with cruisers and flat trackers.

I'm one of the minority of people who bought a factory cafe racer.

Considering the revival of interest in Cafe Racers, I'm surprised that more manufacturers don't capitalize on it, but as far as I know, only Moto Guzzi are doing it with their small block 750's, but Paul is right.

The essence of the Cafe Racer is the personal aspect.

Building something special that no one else has.

If I were going to build my own, I'd find a suitable bike, then gradually convert it.
Start off with some clip on's, then maybe some rear sets, and so on.
You can build on the move so to speak and the beauty of doing it this way, is that you add to it when you can afford too, whilst still using the bike.

If you do decide that you want to go straight in, then consider the Guzzi V7 Cafe.

It may not have the kudos of a home build, but it can at least back up it's modern Cafe Racer with a real history and heritage.

Where can I buy cafe racers?. Moto20guzzi20v720cafe

The other option is ebay.
This is my favourite on there at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R80-Cafe-Racer-Built-Kevils-Speed-Shop-/130587700419?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1e67a22cc3

Back to top Go down
Fallacy

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:57 pm

that link to ebay you posted. is that person still selling that bike?.because it looks good man.and about building myself a cafe racer from scratch I do have some cousins and friends that know how to mess around with cars so I guess they could help me with that.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Fallacy wrote:
that link to ebay you posted. is that person still selling that bike?.because it looks good man.and about building myself a cafe racer from scratch I do have some cousins and friends that know how to mess around with cars so I guess they could help me with that.
If you click on the link it's still live, but if you've got 4-5 grand to spend on a bike why don't you do what I said in the first place and do an E-bay search under cafe racer? I just did and there's over 30 bikes on there. The red R80 is a built-to-order job, so if you are that minted and really are useless with spanners give them a call!

Or there's always this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-CB750-4-Custom-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-1976-/180745550285?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a154639cd

A bit overpriced to my mind, but a stonking looking bike all the same!
Back to top Go down
Oncas

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 am

Like that, but agree a bit steep
Back to top Go down
Fallacy

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 pm

If I do get one of those bike would I have to go to the UK?.I live in america will they ship it?.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 am

Fallacy wrote:
If I do get one of those bike would I have to go to the UK?.I live in america will they ship it?.
Ah, I asked in my 2nd post where do you live. I suggest you look on the US version of E-bay, subscribe to Cafe Racer magazine (they have classified ads) and remember the US/UK Pound exchange rate is currently about $1.60 to the £1.00 so a £4,000 bike here would cost you $6,400, plus shipping and import duty so all in all about $10,000.

I am sure you could buy something much cheaper in the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB750K-cafe-Racer-/170722100286?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27bfd4843e
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAFE-RACER-HONDA-CB-500-1975-AMAZING-MUST-SEE-PAMPERED-RARE-/320789520716?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4ab08ba14c
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-BMW-R75-5-CAFE-RACER-/290629446851?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43aadd6cc3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB750-Cafe-Racer-/180752456556?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2a15af9b6c

In fact,,looking at some of those machines and prices, and in particular the last one, I might just hop over and bring one back for myself!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where can I buy cafe racers?.   Where can I buy cafe racers?. Empty

Back to top Go down

Where can I buy cafe racers?.
Page 1 of 1