Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
extiger

Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica Empty
PostSubject: Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica   Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello to you all. When the new series Cafe Racer began airing on American television, it stirred my soul. My first Brit bike was a Velocette 500 single. Then I owned a gorgeous BSA Gold Star 500. I just loved those thumpers, and being short of stature they were easy to handle.

I spent a summer transforming what started out as a Gold Star Catalina Scrambler into a Cafe Racer. American sources of supply were meager, so I ordered spares and mods from a place called Kay's of Ealing in London. Man, was that Sea Mail a slow process of shipping.

I had the cylinder head bored out to accept a 1 1/2 inch Amal GP carb. Put in a 10.5:1 high compression piston. Those stock Hepworthys were for old ladies and invalids. I'll rummage around and post some photos of it. Everything but the frame was painted British Racing Green. Instead of the stock transfers, I created my own b s a logo from Architect's press-on type and lacquered it to the tank..

One questions you might help me with. What was the name of the English fiberglass part manufacturer? A name beginning with G..L..A..S. I can't remember. I had their small petrol tank and used their front scrambler fender as a rear fender.

Just retired from the airlines and ride bicycles. My bike was made for me by Chas. Roberts in South Croydon. Visited there a few times, and stayed in Doncaster with some D Day veterans I met in France. I'm not a pilot, but I flew 747s. I wrote the flight manuals and had to learn the aircraft. Worked for Flying Tigers and then FedEx after the merger.

Oh, it is cool and foggy here in Southern California. So don't envy us. Smile
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica   Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Goldie, my old man had one in the early sixties (along with an endless procession of AJS's, an Arial square 4, an odd selection of Triumphs etc. etc. My early memories consist of the smell of engine oil and the thump, thump, thump of big British singles and twins!)

Now, enough of the nostalgia trip, when are you getting down to reliving your youth and starting another cafe project? The folk your side of the pond have taken to cafe culture big style, in fact as I said in one of my earlier posts, it's easier to get cafe bits from the States than it is the UK these days!
Back to top Go down
extiger

PostSubject: Re: Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica   Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 am

Found a bunch of photos of the Gold Star and am wrestling with my computer scanner so I can post them here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica   Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica Empty

Back to top Go down

Former Gold Star Owner in Santa Monica
Page 1 of 1