Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer Empty
PostSubject: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm in the process of turning a standard 93 reg Bandit 400 into a modern take on the cafe racer. Lots of bits in mid process at the moment and no photo's, but, I'm getting the camera out tommorow so I'll post them up hopefully over the weekend. I have just fitted some new handle bars this evening, but as this has to be a very low budget project I was originally a bit stuck on replacements.A week or so ago I flipped the original bars ( Renthal medium rise street bars) over to see how dropped bars would look, but found the switch gear was fouling the tank and it wouldn't hit the steering lock. Also I found it very painful on my wrists. With this in mind I thought more along the lines of flat bars, still low looking but less harsh on the wrists. As luck would have it I managed to pick up some off cut of 7/8th mild steel tube (1 meter) and with the help of a mate who restores Moggy Minors, we put a very shallow bend in either side of center, so I now have a comfortable drop position and have cut the bars to length that allows switch gear clearence etc. They are possibly a bit wider than I would have liked but when I have more money and time I may be able to replce the brake reservior with a remote one allowing better clearence.

Anyway pics to follow soon along with updates!
Back to top Go down
nickb

nickb

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Have a look around for a Brembo radial master cylinder, there are alot about, check out supermoto websites as they use them alot, great looking with great increase in brake performance. Idea
Back to top Go down
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:45 am

Here's a pic of the said bars!

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer 021

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer 028

As you can see pretty tight for room in my garage!

I'v gotmore photo's of components to come, just got to upload to photobucket first!
Back to top Go down
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 3:40 am

Heres some more components and work in progress...

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer 024

Seat hump showing paint job theme..

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer 024

front cowling mid spray..
Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer 026
tail unit part sprayed but needs old stickers removing then final red respray.

As I ride this bike everyday to and from work as well as for pleasure some jobs need to be done in parts and as time allows. The tail section of the bike needs sorting, I've laminated up some blank fibreglass panels to make a tail tidy und new undertray but need to be able to take the bike off the road for a couple of days before I can commence cutting and fitting. I'm trying to fabricate as many parts as i can so the originals can be kept for selling purposes ( if that day ever arises) so cutting originals is noy an option though would make the job loads easier and quicker!

Also last night I managed to grab a quick half hour in the garage and cut the new bars down by a further inch on each side, they were too wide on test riding but I managed to tease the controls further up the bars without compramising thier effectiveness!

Last edited by badgerKDD on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 3:24 am

Some pics of progress so far:

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer HalloweenJudeandBike003

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer HalloweenJudeandBike005-1

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer HalloweenJudeandBike004-1-1

And how it started..

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer Paintingssurfboardkidsaprilmay07028

My boss is away very soon so hopefully I can get on with fabricating the undertray and tail tidy, to neaten up the back end.
Back to top Go down
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

PostSubject: Bandit 400 to cafe racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Seems most of the pics have dissapeared so I'm going to post up some new updated photo's rather than find and re post the old out of date photo's. Started to do it but got a bit long winded!
Back to top Go down
mike151

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 am

looks quite good, are they oil cooled those engines? could you get a smaller radiator & hide it behind the bit of frame at the front which the engine fastens to nr cyl head, i'd paint that bit of frame black to hide it a bit. imo thats the problem with modern bikes, the wrap around frame don't look too good as a cafe racer. you could always get one of those 60\70's top fairings which might hide all that modern stuff might look better with clip ons, or could you just invert the bars you have. its quite a nice looking engine with those fins. mike.
Back to top Go down
badgerKDD

badgerKDD

PostSubject: Bandit 400 to cafe racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 6:57 am

mike151 wrote:
looks quite good, are they oil cooled those engines? could you get a smaller radiator & hide it behind the bit of frame at the front which the engine fastens to nr cyl head, i'd paint that bit of frame black to hide it a bit. imo thats the problem with modern bikes, the wrap around frame don't look too good as a cafe racer. you could always get one of those 60\70's top fairings which might hide all that modern stuff might look better with clip ons, or could you just invert the bars you have. its quite a nice looking engine with those fins. mike.

Its water cooled, unlike the Bandits that followed and everything is crammed in pretty tight already so not much can be done with the rad unfortunately. The bars shown are self made with a small drop, I tried inverting the exsisting Renthals but I had problems with steering lock clearence and the angle put a real strain on my wrists, so I'm working on some more bars with a slightly steeper drop but still easy on the wrists.

Still got lots to do though, wheels need re spraying as does the Exhaust, its got stainless steel headers but they have discoloured quite badly so I'm going to spray them flat black all over. Want to put new front disc on and braided hoses. the tank and front mudguard need th stripe sprayed on, fork lowers sanded back to get the marks off and then re laquered. Im also in the process of frabricating from fibreglass a rear no. plate hanger and undertray.

These are the tail and nose fairing final spray..

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer SDC10750

Its not in the picture but I'v added a Black Sheene style seven on the white stripe of the nose cowl.

Heres a couple of pics of the tail plastics pre re spray and prepped for spray, I'v yet to photograph the finished job yet but it looks tidy!

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer SDC10747

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer SDC10748
Back to top Go down
tycbx250

tycbx250

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 am

it looks cool i cant wait to see it when its done

also i am surprised at home much it looks like a ducati monster
Back to top Go down
danchapman

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 3:22 am

I have a Bandit 400 and i want to turn it into a Cafe Racer but with a Rounded Rear on it. Do you think this is possible and do you know what happened to this one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer   Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer Empty

Back to top Go down

Bandit 400 to Cafe Racer
Page 1 of 1