Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Head case!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hugh sym

Head case!!!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 am

GPZ coming along nice, most of the paint done, bit of polishing done to ally bits, wheels on, brakes on, engine painted and in, spagetie wiring nearly done, stainless 4 into 1 exhaust on, carbs in place, then last night while removing old spark plus for new, out came no3 plug along with thread from the head, a loud cry of fek must have been heard by half the village,,, anyone got any ideas,,,,, don't really want to take head off, seen these inserts on utube that can be done in situ, anyone done it or am I pishing in the wind......
Back to top Go down
mike151

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm

might be possible to use thread lock on the insert, i would keep the plug out though till its set . i would have thought you must make sure its fully in so the plug goes down properly & seals. don't over tighten.
Back to top Go down
beekeeper

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 am

you should be able to helicoil the head in situ.

the mechanical side of our workshop have done this but i dont know the ins and out of it myself.

your local machine mart will do the helicoil kits.

i'd rather someone else confirm all this before you attempt it though.
Back to top Go down
Mig

Mig

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 2:43 pm

In theory it can be done in situ with a helicoil. There are two problems that spring to mind.
1. Will the drill bit fit in your hand drill and make sure you are perpendicular to the plug hole ie perfectly in line.
2. Getting the swarf out of the cylinder and also the tag end of the helicoil.

In the past I have used a plastic hose that will fit down the plug hole connected to a powerful workshop vac.
Then I checked the cylinder with a bore scope to make sure there are not bits left.

Oh you will also need an extended tap wrench.

Hope this help and good luck.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 am

Don't know if this will help? As Mig said, biggest problem is getting the swarf out of the bore and checking it's clean afterwards.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/armstrong-eco-kit-spark-plug-thread-repair-kit-3

Personally I'd bite the bullet and pull the head off mate, better in the long run than wrecking the motor with metal filings in the oil!
Back to top Go down
hugh sym

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 am

I have sent off for a kit that claims to be easy to use and a permanent repair, going to try it with the head on, plenty of grease on the taper reamer to collect swarf and a good hoovering via a tube through plug hole, run motor with no3 plug out for a min or 2 should blow the rest out, maybe a petrol wash too,,,,, will let everyone know if it is as good as it says,,,,,
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 am

Good luck, I'll keep me fingers crossed for you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head case!!!!!!!!!!   Head case!!!!!!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Head case!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1