Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer

Go down 
+5
BBSparky
carbon moto
Pud
pauliexjr
bezza.7753
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bezza.7753

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer Empty
PostSubject: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 4:35 am

Hi all I left an introductory message saying who I am and so on and so forth but i put in the message im cafe racing an yamaha sr125 and that I wanted to keep the cost down and keep the budget under £350.

The poor old yamaha sr125 lets be honest its not much of a bike its constantly being over shadowed by its faster better looking brothers and yet it was made for around 21 years who would have thought it and yet its never got much notice really yet being a training school favorite and aiding many young riders over the years not much has been done to the little bike in the way of modifications ...well not that i have seen of anyway im sure people have modified them in the past. The sr has a bit of an identity crisis its not sure what it is, at first glance its a cruiser no questions asked but as you get closer you start to realise its not quite the cruiser say the kwak eliminator 125 is and unlike its older brothers the 250, 400 and 500 it doesent have the bulk to pull of a good hybrid of a bike also its not quite an upright commuter either well i think its time to give it an identity that being cafe racer.

right i have been working flat out and here's how far i am.

Ok the picture wont upload so i will put some on later.

First of all i have saved 8kg In weight already and im still not fully done weight reducing the bike. Now 8 kg doesn't sound alot but if you hold 8 kilos in your hand its quite abit of weight.

second i have removed the baffles out of the exhaust and fitted a k&n, polished the exhaust, inlet port and head, renewed ht lead and coil. I have done the valve clearances made sure everything is uptogether. im hoping to fit cams which have more lift on them of another bike but we will see how it goes.

Third am about to reweld the pivet points where the tops of the rear shocks are attached to allow the back end to stand higher and give it more of an agressive stance i have kept the original forks but fitted harder shorter springs and a better grade fork oil this way the front end is much firmer plus it stops the long fork legs hitting the bottom of the potts.

I will update further as i go along.

Last edited by bezza.7753 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 am

Old expression mate, it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it! Very Happy

Seriously, there's as much work in turning out a decent looking 125 as there is a 1200 so don't feel down about it. Remember, our forefathers built cafes from what was available at the time, on very tight budgets, and most modern 125s will give something like an AJ350 or a Royal Enfield Crusader a run for their money!

1 quick tip, try uploading your photois via Photobucket or another hosting site, it's dead simple.
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am

what paulie says my first post 50 was a KC100 Kawasaki with ace bars micron exhaust and a diy paint job to look like a lawson replica and I wish I stil had it it was so much fun it would do a registed 60 in a straight line down hill with a back wind I didnt care I was haing fun..............
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 am

i remember seeing a bantam cafe racer when i was younger,
quite fancy doing one in the future,
i wish i could loose 8kg off me, that would help making my bike go faster!!
its not the bhp thats important is the bhp per tonne that really matters , if you get the bhp up & tonne down thats a recipie for fun
tony
Back to top Go down
http://www.caferacerseats.co.uk
BBSparky

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 am

Like the sound of this. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Must admit i enjoy building the smaller engined bikes as its nice to see the rections on the faces of some of the bike bike riders when they find out the engine size Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bezza.7753

PostSubject: Almost there!!   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 am

Right the bike is almost done i havent been keeping a log of what ive been doing to the bike so im gonna attempt to tell all now so bear with me. Also the bike isn't finished yet but the end is in sight but i thought i would add pics and get most of the writing out of the way now because once its finished i will be puting it through its paceses down the new forest back roads in the south of england and im not sure if i will have the patience to sit down and write down a log right away of everything knowing my pocket kinda rocket is sitting in the garage Laughing .

Also just a quick note Paulie thanks for the tip on the photo bucket idea its worked a treat so now you can see a few pics finally.

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1149

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1156

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1151

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1155

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1153

Ok so first thing as you can see its not quite the normal sr125 that it was basicaly the frame, froks, rear shocks, wheels, swing arm, seat, engine and carb are original but basically all have had something tweeked here are a few figures first of all.

14kg of weight has been saved so far on the bike

Amazingly the bike has 20 less parts that are not needed

the bike cost me:
£100
Headlight
£24
headlight brackets
£11
clip ons
£42
K&N carb filter
£12
Crankcase filter
£4
Rear light (not fitted yet)
£15
Sand paper and other bits and bobs
£35
Gsxr 750 k4 front brake reservoir
£14.50

So far the total price is £257.50 admitaly I got the bike at a really good price considering it only has 8000 miles on it from new.

Everything else I either had or mananged to blag from people for free.

The bike was 12.5bhp originaly but now i think is producing around the 17/18bhp mark but we will have to see when its done.

Ok so we will start with the frame:

The frame is the original but anything on the frame that is not being used or is not a strength poing on the frame has been cut off and believe me this frame has had lots of surgery. The original brackets on the frame that held the rear shocks have been cut of and i have made up new ones that will be made up for the frame so it stands higher (in some of the pics you cans seee where the shock will attatch to the frame) i wont reweld the frame until the last bit because im costantly changing my mind about what height i want the back of the frame. Also one problem i encounted which didn't cross my mind until i got to it was when i changed the geometry and height of the frame the chain didn't have a clean path from the back sprocket to the front sprocket and rubbed on the tom of the swing arm and rubbed on a part of the frame at the bottom. The part of the frame it was rubbing on i couldn't cut away because it was a real strength point at the bottom of the fram so i managed to blag a bloke i know to give me an old wheeled chain tensioner of a suzuki dr of some kind which i had to restore but is fine and looking new now. ive attatched it to the swing arm and its doing the job. i had to beef up the rubber cusion on the top of the swing arm with another one i found which came of a yamaha dt100 which is taking the pressure of the top of the chain so job done.

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1163

Engine:

The engine is stock at the moment i stripped the engine right down even know i new it would probaly be ok due to the low milleage and just as i thought it was spotlesss everthing is in good nick the valves and head i cleaned and pollished up and i renewed seals and gaskets as i went if any were abit knackerd but to be honest i cant take any credit for the internals of the engine becasue who has had it in the past has looked after it. The side casings had abit of corrosion on them so i sanded them right back with the finest sand paper i could find and after many days of sanding and polishing the side casings, manifold, valve covers, cam chain cover, sprocket cover and clutch cable holder was looking brand new and custom. As you can tell i went abit mad with the sanding and polishing thing once i did one i saw something else on the engine and thoight that would look good shiny and the fetish went from there Laughing.

As mentioned before the engine is now breathing better due to the new filters its also breathing out better as it now has no baffles. Ive messed around with a few of these megaphone single type jap exhausts and if you cut them in the right place you get a real nice loud smothe kinda rough burble if that makes sense Laughing.

The gear lever is made out of an old nsr 125f lever and has been cut back and i wanted the bit your foot hits to be made with all metal no rubber to sofen it against your foot i want instant movment asoon as your foot hits it so i grinded the lever back drilled a hole through it and shuved a long smothed headed bolt through it with a metal sleeve surounding it. Also because the original gear leaver did face forward but now it faces backwards the gears are reversed so 1 up 4 down which i could change the other way but i prefure it like this so changing up gears is quicker.

Electrics:

Most of the electrics havent been tampered with the odd wire shortend the main thing is virtually all of the wiring at the back of the bike has been put into a very small area heres a couple of pics.

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1160

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1162

As you can kinda see i have made some custom plates to fit below and above to hold the electrics in place i reinsulated everything to make sure no short circits happen while everything is so close together.

I brought a new universal headlight and rewired it acordingly. the clocks are from an old rd125 dx i used to have they were in crap condition but after abit of polishing painting and tlc they look good as new.

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1166

I decided quite early on that i wanted the igniton barrel under the tank plus it worked out well because the clock bracket had a completly differnt fitting to the one on the ignition barrel that i had.

The battery at the moment is being held on by a bungie corde but i will make something more permenent as i progress.

Suspension:

As i said before the front and rear suspension is the original just rebuilt and ploished up.

The front forks i was gonna replace with shorter ones but after abit of thinking i decided to recycle them and see what happens so i have a set of bent nsr 250 mc16 front frorks which are ruiened and are siting in my back garden and are completly useless but i horde bike parts and thank god i do because the springs in them amazingly were absoultly fine and fitted in the sr stanchions and they lowered the front forks to the right height and because they are very firm (well compared to the sr ones) they stop the stanchions from hitting the bottom of the potts so ticks all round for the now not so useless nsr fork springs.

The top yolk is of a suzuki gs125 and was in terrible condition but it was lighter then the sr one and the clock bracket fitted straight onto it (thats jap bits for you) also the original sr top yolk was designed to sit on top of the stanchions but i needed the stanchions to be able to pear through and the suzuki top yolk allowed them to .... well it needed abit of grinding to allow it to but that was easily done so again like so many recycled bits after grinding back to bear metal and after repainting it, it looked like new.

Brakes:

The rear brake is standard and the front calliper i rebuilt and again like so many other bits i took it back to bear metal and repainted it. I sanded down the rear drum cover and polished to a chrome like look i also did the same with several other componets round the area. Virtually every bit i have added to the bike that is not new is actually alot older then the bike but only one bit is much newer and that is the front reservoir and lever system. Its from a gsxr750 k4 i believe i shortened the brake lever (and the clutch lever) and the bracket that holds the reservoir i got rid of and i made a new straight one that made the reservoir stand lower and directly above the bracket that holds the assembely on the clip on.

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1167

Miscellaneous:

The seat i had to cut the bottom of and modifiy to sit on top of the newly made wiring loom cover.

Rather then fit rear sets i decided to use the footpeg assembley that came with the bike. The ones that came with the bike sat right forward so i just turned the assembley around so there heading to wards the back of the bike and i slightly modified them and now they sit quite far back and it cost me nothing.

The tank has a much thicker block under the back of it to make it stand higher i might weld a metal bracket to hold it permently at that height but at the moment im not sure if the height is right.

Ive kept the original seat as oppesed to a "cafe racer seat" because i think it looks the part anyway with the higher rear and lower front plus it fits well and because the frame is'nt flat across it the original seat makes the back look reasonble level.

Thats as far as i am ive missed out a few bits but this essay has gone on long enough for the moment i will update it again once its almost complete.

Im glad a few people have tooken abit of intrest to the project as pauliexjr, carbon moto,BBSparky and Pud said 125s do require big work and make great cafe racers as you can see its starting to look the part.

P.s. a mate of mine had a kawasaki kc100 and it was a rapid little beast if i get hold of one that will be cafe racer waiting to happen.

Last edited by bezza.7753 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:59 pm

That's blinding mate, really like that! Do us all a favour and don't just ride off into the sunset without posting pictures of the finished bike, it's amazing how many people seem to start posting on this site, then just don't come back once their pride and joy is on the road.
Back to top Go down
bezza.7753

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 am

thanks mate im glad its starting to finally look like a kinda cafe racer and you have my promise i will keep posting for a long time to come. Actually ive been a bit laxed with this thread the next cafe racer i build which will be in the next couple of months and that i will keep a more up to date log but once this project is finished i will tell all and picture the glory that is the yamaha sr125 (never thought i would say those word about a sr125 Laughing )
Back to top Go down
bezza.7753

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 am

Right its been far to long since i posted my last reply on here. Ive been far to busy with work and other projects.

Now the SR cafe racer has come along way since i last posted on here but the best way to prove this is in the pudding so here are a few pics...

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1222

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer DSCF1221

This is how she looked until a week ago a then things went wrong but ill go into that later.

As you can see she is a whole differnt beasty now, I liked the way it looked before but it looked to tame and to standard for my liking so i had to change ..... well everything haha.

The tank is off an rd200

The braces to the top of the rear suspension unit i made and welded together

The forks are made from several fork units to get the best of everything these include (sr125,ar125,rd125,cb125,gs125)

The seat unit i hand made but obviously as you can see its far from finshed and the battery and electrics are incorperated into the seat unit.

Ant theres other bits and pieces but i wont go to much into it.

So all looks good anyways now i spent a long time redisigning the froks and making them work as good as possible but when I tested the bike for the first time i must of weekend the left hand pot because i was leaning into a corner and suddenly the left hand fork dumped all its fooil oil all over the floor thankfully i din't come of but this is how the fork pot looked once of the bike...

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2434

Gutted because that pot i had to custom design parts of it that took me quite some time sooooo......

When i first started the project i had a set of Cagiva mito 125 mk2 usd forks that i was gonna fit but i thought they would ruin the look of the bike and would be over kill but that went out of the window as soon as the fork pot cracked in half so ive been messing around with them to get them to fit and this is where i am now.....

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2428

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2426

I Said at the begining i would like to keep the project under £350 and amazingly i was in budget but with the new forks im gonna have to get new head light brackets and new clip ons so the new budget is £500 and hopefully this time nothing will brake.

Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:21 am

usd frontend looks great Cool
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 am

Shocked wow never thought a SR125 could look so good
Back to top Go down
bezza.7753

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 am

Yeah i must say the usd forks have grown on me and cheers Pud yeah shes starting to look the part and the end is in sight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bezza.7753

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:12 pm

The bikes getting closer to finishing!!

Ive completed the seat unit and almost finished painting it. I was going to repaint it in the blue the tank came in like the aircooled rd125's but after all cafe racers were bikes based on the racers of the day so the logical and the color sceme ive always liked, it had to be white with the red strip down the middle like the old yamaha tz series. I need to add a few finishing touches and some seat foam and the seat unit is ready to go.

The yolkes and fork potts have been repainted in gloss black.

Ive made a new front spindle to allow the usd forks to accept the old spoke wheel.

Several electrical jobs have been finished off.

Ive rebuilt the forks with new seals and 15w oil. The forks came with a brembo front brake which was in terrible condtion so that needed rebuilding and a load of work to bring it up like new so the thing should handle and stop excellent now.

New headlight brackets which had to be modified (just like virtualy every inch of the bike)

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2513
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2512
Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer 100_2511

Im just having the rear of the tank refabricated by a local triumph specialised since it had rusted right through and i dont have a tig welder and i have enough to get on with at the moment with work and finishing several other bits on the bike.

Im just waiting on some clip ons, seat foam and the tank needs repainting once its back from the fabricators but hopefully then she will be ready for an mot and some tax and hopefully some good weather so i can see if my hard work has paid off to make a decent cafe racer.

Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:28 pm

that is so looking good look forward to he finished thing my sons bike is nearly finished
then I can start again on mine bounce
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Bezza that looks brilliant! Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Back to top Go down
TikTok

PostSubject: What progress 15 months on?    Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 3:03 am

Hey, I have just bought a SR125 with a view to making it a cafe racer. I would love to see some more pics of your bike if possible?
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 am

Back to top Go down
TikTok

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 5:37 am

pauliexjr wrote:
Have a look here for some ideas and inspiration: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yamaha+sr+125+cafe+racer&rlz=1R2GGLL_en-GB&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=T2EUUu_3C8nS0QXXv4G4CQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=582
Hi, thanks for the suggestion to use Google search - I would not have thought of that.

I am after specific information on SR125 conversions.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 6:09 am

They are all pictures of SR125s, what sort of info are you after?
Back to top Go down
cummingsanthony

PostSubject: Hey   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 am

I will be getting a yamaha sr soon i was just wondering do they have fuel gages? as i havent seen any in most of these photos?
Back to top Go down
RussJ

RussJ

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

cummingsanthony wrote:
I will be getting a yamaha sr soon i was just wondering do they have fuel gages? as i havent seen any in most of these photos?
don't look like it, you'll just have to try the age old tradition of 'cough cough splutter splutter .... sh1t ... quick pull out the reserve tap  Shocked '       Shouldn't worry about it tho, they do about a million miles to the gallon any way Smile
Back to top Go down
cummingsanthony

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Hahaha ok cool
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 pm

I had totally forgot about this post, pity Bazza never came back with pictures of the finished article, it was looking very good  Sad 
Back to top Go down
RussJ

RussJ

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 am

just looked paul, some of them look pretty sweet  bounce 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer   Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer Empty

Back to top Go down

Yamaha sr125 Cafe racer
Page 1 of 1