Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
modern forks on old bikes? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
modern forks on old bikes? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
modern forks on old bikes? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
modern forks on old bikes? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
modern forks on old bikes? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
modern forks on old bikes? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
modern forks on old bikes? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
modern forks on old bikes? EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

modern forks on old bikes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cafez440

modern forks on old bikes? Empty
PostSubject: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm

so what is the deal? can you put modern forks on old frames? i really wanted my z440 to hav gold forks, such as gixxer or simular, but would it atcually ruin the handling? or just never kit .. ever. i haven't done any measurements of the z440 yet but ill post when i find out, and then see what forks may be fit enough to just drop in and what will need a bit of work. there is a fabricator just down the road that does cafe racers ( i thinki) so it could be a job for them.
any thoughts? or has anyone seen this kinda thing done before?
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 am

Cafe racers are all about individuality, there are no 'rules' and if you want to fit gold forks go ahead!

Easiest way to see what will fit is to measure the length of your existing forks, if you don't already know the diameter beg, borrow or steal a micrometer and measure them up (don't go by guesswork or a tape measure, a couple of thou can make the difference between them sitting in your headstock, or dropping out at very inappropriate moments!)

Then troll your local breakers, free papers, motorcycle mags, E-bay etc. for your replacement forks.
Back to top Go down
cafez440

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just ordered a micrometer, don't know if it was any good as it was only £17 but least I have one now.
I did e mail a garage just down from me the builds cafe's a fabricates their own parts, and asked them if it was possible for them to fabricate me a top yoke. They did mail back unfortunatly which was a shame because they would have been very useful for the future.
I've also decided that I'm going to get a 1976z400 frame rather than the 81 z440 ltd I got for the moment. For the pure reason I don't like the back end where it lips up a bit. I wanna keep that straight. So I cant measure up at the moment. But once I've found what forks fit I'll post it up here for future reference.
Back to top Go down
cafez440

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 pm

well i got my frame through, but the micrometer wont get close enough to the gap to measure the diameter. it looks like 31mm but i cant be sure, im going to try an the zkwak z forum to see if anyone knows the measurements.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Didn't your micrometer come with internal 'prongs' as well as jaws? If not I'd send it back as unfit for purpose. I got an electronic set from Halfauds for 20 quid which not only have external and internal measuring, but a digital display that swaps from imperial to metric at the push of a button.
Back to top Go down
cafez440

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

AH BALLS! NO THEY DONT, ILL HAVE ANOUTHER LOOK. but not in capitals.
mark
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 am

Hi Mark, these are what I bought: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_530639_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Not the cheapest, but they have internal and external measurements and even a depth gauge, accurate to within .01mm and come with a lifetime guarentee!
Back to top Go down
cafez440

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

thanks mate, lets hope the life time guarentee last for the one time im going to use it. but hey least its anouther tool for the tool box collection. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:21 am

Hi
its not a micrometer you want its a vernier or internal micrometer
Steve
Back to top Go down
cafez440

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 am

Cheers for the heads up steve. Ive opted to refurbish the old forks now anyway as i was going to find it difficult to put spoked wheels on modern forks. Least this way i can refurb some z400 wheels and know for sure they will fit.
Cheers again mark
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 am

Pud wrote:
Hi
Steve
Hi Pud, if he's measuring the diameter of the forks (which was the original question) he needs a micrometer, if he's measuring the internals of the yokes he needs a vernier, the the ones I bought have both, plus a depth guage and an option to swap between imperial and metric, best 20 qiud I've ever spent!
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 am

pauliexjr wrote:
Pud wrote:
Hi
Steve
Hi Pud, if he's measuring the diameter of the forks (which was the original question) he needs a micrometer, if he's measuring the internals of the yokes he needs a vernier, the the ones I bought have both, plus a depth gauge and an option to swap between imperial and metric, best 20 quid I've ever spent!

I agree whole heatedly just thought with the accuracy he needed a set of verniers would suit him best especially with what you have already mentioned got my set from machine mart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: modern forks on old bikes?   modern forks on old bikes? Empty

Back to top Go down

modern forks on old bikes?
Page 1 of 1