Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Hi from Calgary,Canada

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fuego58

Hi from Calgary,Canada Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 pm

So just getting interested in starting a cafe racer project. I've been looking at a CB750 and a couple of Yamaha's. Just can't decide so decided to join a forum. Since it's winter for more then half the year seems like a good plan to start a project like this. So does any one have any ideas on selecting a bike to transform into an awesome cafe racer? I'm gonna be doing most of the work and I'm in the trades and have access to welder and other tools. But first I need some sort of direction. Since just looking on the internet has made me want one...and where else to go but CafeRacer forum. Again this is my first project and would love to get something that is not as advanced for my first go at this. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about buying one already made but I think that this could be a lot of fun. Also FYI I don't currently have a bike just dirt bike. And have been putting off getting my motorcycle license so this will make me want to go through the course and getting into more advanced projects later on. Thanks and look forward to learning and chatting with you all!

-Fuego58
Back to top Go down
va-bch-chop

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 3:56 am

Welcome Fuego I hope you enjoy the site. Deciding what bike to start with depends on what you want to end up with, how much work you want to do, or how much you want to spend on it. A running bike is always a good start. After that are you looking to make a traditional old school bike, something out of the norm, or something as fast as you can make it? Do you have a lot of money or are you on a budget?  Have you ever modified anything before? First you need to answer questions like these.
Back to top Go down
Fuego58

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 am

Well for my first time I'm thinking budget. I've been looking at auctions and kijiji. But I'm not looking for anything that will go fast at least not now. The work I want to do does not matter really but also I'm not wanting to start from scrap maybe something that the motor runs and I guess cosmetics would be what I'd like to be able to start with. I have modified equipment and other things but that sugar gets old I kinda want a challenge. But also I'd like to make it more traditional cafe racer. Wow that really helped me! Thanks va-Bach-chop now I've got a starting point. This site is already helping me thanks again!
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 6:19 am

Welcome Fuego, this is a great site and very friendly. As per our friend from Virginia Beach, what you choose to cafe is very personal, it's what you feel good with. I did a CB750 a year or so back, unfortunately losing my job meant I had to sell it before it was finished, great bikes though and can really look the part. I also like the Yamaha XS650, harks back to the classic Triumph, Norton and BSA twins whilst being far more reliable and not too expensive.

Whatever you decide on have fun with it, post some pictures and feel free to ask for help, advice or friendly criticism at any time!

Back to top Go down
Fuego58

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome pauliexjr! Yeah I was thinking cb750 but found a 1974 Yamaha XS400. It's in running condition and would just be cosmetics. Unfortunately the owner doesn't get back until the 24th. So now I'm waiting. But as I'm waiting I'm still looking at other bikes just incase this one doesn't turn out.
Back to top Go down
mike151

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 am

4 stroke parallel twins are best for cafe racers in my opinion,they don,t have to be that big or fast either.400cc is ideal,preferably with a long tank that fits over the the frame rather than on it ie. 70,s or 80,s. Don,t get a custom model though.
Back to top Go down
Fuego58

PostSubject: NO LUCK   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

OK so update time! I've gone and checked a few bikes on my own and found out that I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Some jokers are trying to sell me scrap metal and other want ridicules amounts of cheddar like $3000+ for a already made cafe racer that i would customize after cause the colours they've picked look horrible. I did find a suzuki GS 750 but it ran last year but it "does not run this year" so I'm stuck between a pimp and hard place and the only thing i can do is wonder if instead of getting anything i should wait until the end of summer. which would be tragic... yes i did say that! lol but still what to do? should i get something just to ride this warm canadian summer or should i find that perfect bike? or should i just go for it? ive talked to some friends that are willing to come with me to check them out, but i really wanted my cafe racer this year Sad But i still have hope in finding something. even tho bike prices go up in summer and down again in fall it just seems that after looking and searching I'm right back where i started except now i know what i want and I'll keep searching wish me luck boys seems like I'm going to need it!

Cheers,
Ed
Back to top Go down
mike151

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm

There's afew people on the gs resouces forum from Canada with suzuki gsx 400,s. These are brilliant bikes For cafe racers. Might be called gs 400,s in usa/ canada
Back to top Go down
RussJ

RussJ

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

yeh welcome Fuego Smile like whats said before, if you're after the traditional look I'd try and find a parallel twin with a tubular steel frame and preferably wire wheels, and from that your almost there, single seat clip on bars and hey presto..... well you get the drift. what ever bike you decide with, it'll be yours and unique and you cant get better than that Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Calgary,Canada   Hi from Calgary,Canada Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Calgary,Canada
Page 1 of 1