Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kinetica

GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  Empty
PostSubject: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Guys

I have been away with work for 4 months not much has happened on my project .. but i do have a question
what are the dangers of taking of my original air filter and using four smaller air filters not only does this look
good but will help me clear up what is a busy / messy part of the bike ...

cheers In advance will upload some update photos of this project soon

cheers TW
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:07 am

There's no 'danger' per se and I agree, air boxes are damn ugly!

You may need to tweek the mixture or use bigger jets because by fitting individual filters you will probably be increasing the air flow thereby weakening the fuel mixture, especially if you change the exhaust to a freer flowing system i.e. deristricted end can or baffle-less system.

You are simply putting a bigger volume of air through, so you need to increase the amount of fuel as well or the bike will run lean and hot. The air filter suppliers should be able to tell you how much bigger jets you need.

For my money I'd suck it and see.
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Im with Paul on this one
Steve
Back to top Go down
kinetica

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Guys --- I think you are correct Im just going to give this a go and see how it all goes
thanks for the advice ... on this .

I also have another Question you guys maybe able to help me with , the wiring loom
on this bike as been hacked for the last 15 years , do you think it is just best to strip
this down and start again ... Im a little nervous about this as not all that good with
electrical ... As im going to replace the headlight . gauges ... as i will be taking the original
dash of the bike what do you guys do with the ignition part of the bike..

hahah that was a dam big question .. and advice ony any part of this is good ...

cheers Lads
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:06 am

OK, like you wiring is not one of my fortes, if something isn't working chances are it's down to the 'letrits!

Normally if you have a loom then I'd leave well alone, but if it has been badly hacked then a replacement off E-bay might be an idea.

If you insist on dealing with something you can't see, smell or touch (until it shorts out on you!) you might want to have a look at this which Miffa posted a while back (good man that he is!)

GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  Ebe35d7e-4315-4baa-adcf-c76d8fa79b80

With this you get the choice of where to site your ignition switch if you don't want it in front of your nose.
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:26 am

electrickery is only as hard as you make it
i would defo make up a new loom if yours as been chopped into ,as paul said the honda loom is basicly the same
when making a loom break it down into 3 parts ignition,charging,and at the end add lights ,horn ect
try to solder as many joints as poss as crimped connections vibrate lose, a couple of 30 amp and a 10 amp inline fuses should do it you will be amazed on how little wire you need compared to the factory loom
Back to top Go down
kinetica

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:06 am

Hi guys

cheers for your advice ... Im just going to jump in and give it a go myself ... and see how
i go I will update you as i go ..
I have just noticed my lovely other half has deleted my manual for the bike of the computer
any ideas were to find GS 550 m katana manual ( or manual close to this )

thanks in advance lads I think i have found the motivation to get a move on ..

Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

Try joining a Suzki owners or better still Katana forum. Most of these sort of groups can let you have a copy of a manual or tell you how to access one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going    GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes  im Still going  Empty

Back to top Go down

GS550 Katana Cafe Project - yes im Still going
Page 1 of 1