Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» moto guzzi v50 80 build
Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

» Cafe Racer CB650
Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:58 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ratty racer

PostSubject: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:04 am

I purchased this 1980 H100a around 2 years ago, one of its many previous owners thought it would make a good bobber/cruiser No

I started with a spit and polish and relocated the plate/rear light then enjoyed riding it as was for a while.

Over then next year or so, i basically re wire the entire bike, removing over 3 meters of spliced wire, taking off the extra red lights. Also changing the bars and huge risers for a set off a CBR125.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

I found a pair of ace bars at a local bootsale and handed over a £5 note and took them home with a smile, cleaned up polished and fitted..

After a ride to Hastings May Day 2013 A new seat was a must. I scored a cafe seat for some work I'd done and went about working how to fit it...

A few  other bits were changed inc bar end mirrors, fork gaitors etc etc..
And this was the outcome.

Last edited by ratty racer on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:22 am

She has done me well for the past 2 years, a bit of regular maintenance and she's kept running daily through all weathers...

So now my CBT has lapsed, I thought I'd spend some time stripping and glamming her up a bit.. This time round I plan on loosing the side panels, installing a bell filter and hiding the battery under the hump, the tank is stripped to be professionally sprayed and I'm contemplating powdercoating the frame and swing arm.

I'm staying with the black look, with maybe a contrasting silver stripe or detail of some kind..
This is my inspiration...

Last edited by ratty racer on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:52 am

Nice, I love small cafes when done properly and if you follow the lines of the gold one that will look epic. Good luck with the build and post pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am

A bit of Bank Holiday progress...

Tank stripped back.. All by hand  Twisted Evil

Engine out next, then front end off for a rebuild... cheers

Last edited by ratty racer on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:39 am

Bit of work on the wheels, need buffing, but looking good.

Untangled the wiring loom, cutting off more surplus, re connecting any broken/bodged wire.
the loom now runs nicely under the frame all hidden. cheers

Front end off tomorrow sunny

Last edited by ratty racer on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Some good progress this week, I have spent hours, stripping, rubbing down, painting at polishing almost the entire bike. Rolling Eyes  There was an enormous amount of brushed on silver and gold paint on everything, the top and bottom yolks, barrel, head, engine casing, hubs, nuts, literately on everything  🤢

So a few process pictures 🆙

The tank stripped back to bare metal, this along with the side panels and cafe seat are at the spray shop (These are the only parts to be professionally painted)

Stripping the swing arm..

and tarted up with hammerite.

Wheels refurbed, spokes and nipple painted with hammerite, also the brake arms. Hubs rubbed back and hand polished to a reasonable shine ( I may take these a bit further using a drill buffer) But pretty shiny for hand done Twisted Evil

The frame was given a good few coats of hammerite and been baking in the sun for a few days... Tidied up the wire loom, cutting away any surplus and re doing any broken connections..

Barrel and head off, again covered in brushed on paint 🤢

Oh you dirty lil bstard... Plenty coke, but no marks, so this will be decoked and popped back in, the barrel sleeve is also in great nick 🆙

A little help today, from my lad, all of 10 mins :mrgreen:

4 hours later, sore fingers and aching shoulder it's stripped and ready to paint with high heat aluminum paint (Spray not bloody brush)

Everything has been prepped by hand, no chemicals, just hard graft  Twisted Evil

Thats better Smile so nearly finished the restration process, carb needs cleaning up and fork need oil. Then I think I can build her again

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:40 pm

That's impressive, you seem to have got more doen in a month than a lot of people do on here in a year! Keep up the good work bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:54 pm

pauliexjr wrote:
That's impressive, you seem to have got more doen in a month than a lot of people do on here in a year! Keep up the good work bounce

Thanks, I don't like hanging about, I plan to have this on the road by mayday for the Hastings run, fingers crossed, I'm cutting it fine What a Face

So a little bit done today, I'm feeling rough with man flu No
Stripped the front shocks and cleaned/re filled and rebuilt. New oil, new gaitors, and onto the nicely refurbed yolks cheers I'm yet to fit a new steering lock, (Need to find fixing screws, these were the only screws stripped during strip down) Not bad  cheers

Fitted onto the frame, with a nice new single light, new cables routed through, everythings hand tight for now to see how she'll look. I have to strip to frame and build out front as the bike wont go through the house  Evil or Very Mad
I also fitted a new sprocket set and a new set of cush drive rubbers in the rear wheel. (no pics)

Oooo and I almost forgot, the tank and seat are back from the paint shop afro

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:03 am

Just a little bit of polishing today, Tried out some 3M fast cut liquid compound, followed by a polish with Maguires all metal poylish, all hand done cheers

Last edited by ratty racer on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RussJ

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:43 pm

doing a great job there Smile looks better with the new headlight too , like paul says ... rapid progress , fingers crossed you get it done in time for the Hastings run
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Todays progress, both side covers polished up to near mirror finish, I could take these further with a buffer, but i think hand done finish is good enough cheers I also refitted the barrel and head. Twisted Evil Going to move her out front tomorrow to continue the build before she gets stuck out the back garden lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:59 pm

So she is almost done, just waiting on a new battery, ignition switch and top chain guard. The exhaust needs fitting, tank badges need fitting back on, then I can fire her up to check the electrics, before booking an MOT bounce

I decided to keep the air box and panels, instead of a bell filter, my mate done such a nice job on the panels, along with the tank and seat hump, it would have been rude not to use them Twisted Evil

I've also not yet fitted rearsets as i'd planned, I need some assistance for this, ie welding tabs on the frame for fitting.
a few other bits to do, I want to add a silver stripe down the middle of the tank and seat. Maybe a subtle decal, here and there and I'd like to change that side stand, for something a little less conspicuous. I also need to either make a filler piece to fit between the tank and seat or make different bracket, so the seat can be fitted further forward.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 am

That's looking really nice, although I agree about the side stand, perhaps painting it black might help camouflage it a little?

Either way congrats on a professional looking and dare I say it speedy build!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

I'm really pleased how she's looking cheers I can't wait to get back on her for a blip... My aim for the Mayday run looks to be a miss this year, I'd need her MOT'd by Friday, but I still have the ignition switch to fit and find somewhere to mount it! She will go next year Smile

Its a very nice feeling bringing an old hag, back to something so shiny, reusing almost all parts that came off, with the exemption of cables, chain and sprocket etc.. Amazing what can be done by hand lol!

Total spend on this project came in under £200 (Not including the spray job on the tank, panels and seat, That was a trade with a pal)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Sat May 09, 2015 4:01 am

Having a few electrical issues, so she's still sat waiting to be fire up, I stripped back the wire loom yesterday, ready to investigate Sunday... Electrics is the one thing I hate playing about with, but now the loom is stripped of it's age old insulation tape, it seems much clearer to follow the Haynes wiring diagram Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Sun May 10, 2015 12:03 pm

I think i may have found my spark issue.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 am

Yep, that would do it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon May 18, 2015 2:02 pm

After a several failed attempts to fire her up, I finally took off the carb for a look, the screws were rusted fast, after a few choice words, mole grips and some brute force, I cracked it open...

Striped and cleaned and put back on the bike, I replaced the fuel pipe, kicked her over and she fired up on the first kick  Twisted Evil

All electrics work, lights, horn and ignition all A OK  🆙 So she's booked for a MOT this Friday  cheers

And a little Vid bounce
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: FAILED!!   Wed May 27, 2015 7:44 am

Failed the MOT on Friday.  Embarassed  Stupid things, nothing I can't sort.

One issue was the enduro style rubber plate hanger was fouling the rear wheel.. Hence the new rear light set up. I had to cut the back of the seat to fit over the light, measured twice, three times. get the misses to double check and cut once cheers

The other issues where an iffy light switch, bit of WD40 sorted that.
and brakes, new shoes on the way   cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:57 pm

she is about complete now and re booked for the MOT, fingers crossed bounce

I sorted the brakes this morning and striped the tank and seat hump...

And to finish off the thread a reminder of how she looked when first purchased in December 2012.. affraid

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 pm

Nice, like the stripes and good to see the before and after piccies, that's a smart looking wee machine, well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:11 am

She passed cheers

Thanks for the compliments cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ratty racer

PostSubject: Engine/Gearbox Troubles, She canny take it Captain, I think she's gunna blow!   Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:11 am

Dropped the engine out of my Honda Yesterday, after a weekend rideout to Ramsgate something went on the ride over, troubles getting into 2nd and 5th, with grinding noises, I managed to limp her home in 4th. The gearbox oil had metal flakes in as does the gearbox..

Start of a full strip and rebuild..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:55 am

Awww, what a bugger, good luck with the rebuild pal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.   

Back to top Go down

Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next