Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion

Go down 
+6
beekeeper
pauliexjr
carlmt
Pud
gone fishin
carbon moto
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
beekeeper

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am

didnt mean to offend.

common saying round these parts meaning private job other than customers.
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 am

No offence taken mate, I new what you meant but couldn't resist taking the pi@@
Back to top Go down
http://www.caferacerseats.co.uk
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 am

sorry for the lack of posts, i have not been skiving just very busy.I am in the process of getting 2 websites sorted one for the ducati carbon & the other for the cafe racer parts, lots of photo taking & adding items to the data bases.
i decided that as everyone else was on holiday & i couldnt get my parts so i wouldnt get much done on the bike & business was quiet i might as well join them. So i had a few days off too Very Happy
back to work now & still waiting for bits to turn up, so i thought i would tackle the wiring, which was a right mess loads of twisted wires in insulating tape, have removed the indicator wires & relays relocated all the components under the seat hump & just about sorted it. All soldered with heat shrink over the joints -took bloody hours.
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Img_0510
The body work is coming along nicely, the tank cover came out of the mould today, the seat unit, mudguards(front & rear), & chain guard are all made just need paint & lacquer.Tomorrow i am making the wheel spacers at my mates machine shop & hopefully collecting the spoked front wheel along with the front mudguard brace from the chromer, early next week we should have the front end all together & on the bike.

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Img_0512honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Img_0514
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am

that is looking sweet bounce
Back to top Go down
beekeeper

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 am

well i'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 am

Looking very nice, if it's any consolation I have a '57 plate XJR in pieces in the lock-up where it has been since I bought it in March!
Change of job means I've been working my ass off and weekends are too tight to get anything done, the tank only came back from
painting 2 weeks ago and teh new clocks arrived from China after I found out how expensive the original Yam bits were!
But, everything comes to he who waits, I just hope I can get it finished before I'm too old and athritic to ride it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm

clever Cool
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

I worked it out today that 6 solid days would have it finished & mot'd if i concentrated on it.
unfortunately i have bits to make for customers, 2 websites to finish building (1 for cafe racer seats & 1 for carbon fibre) & new products to bring out, so probably another 2-3 weeks should see it finished & a few late nights.
Front end just about done now, still fighting with the bloody wiring though,
just got to shorten the front mudguard by a couple of inches at the front then lacquer it.
back wheel back tomorrow & sprocket & brake back plate back from polishers on friday.
might have a saturday morning on it to make a roller,
(thats all it will ever be until the wiring is done, not my favorite job)as its getting very exciting now its coming together
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_13
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_14
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm

now that guard I like
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 5:04 pm

With you on the wiring pal, hated the bl**dy stuff on my CB750, even when I went down the utra-simple route, no indicators etc. it was still an 'effin nightmare. You can't see, smell or touch electricity, pesky 'letrit!
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 am

pauliexjr wrote:
With you on the wiring pal, hated the bl**dy stuff on my CB750, even when I went down the utra-simple route, no indicators etc. it was still an 'effin nightmare. You can't see, smell or touch electricity, pesky 'letrit!
you can defiantly feel it when your working on 240v & get it wrong!
im ok with electrics, can wire a bike no probs, can even make a loom from scratch following the diagram but there is something i just hate about doing it, cant get motivated to do it & dread it. dont know what it is just loath electrics.
if a customer wanted a rewire i would turn it down,i hate it that much
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 am

luv your front guard and bracket Cool

i much prefer to wire from scratch theres always a simple wiring diagram on one of the chop sites well for most bikes anyway ,i did a wire inside the frame once now that was frustrating
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 DSC05031_zpsa335e854

Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 am

miffa wrote:
luv your front guard and bracket Cool

i much prefer to wire from scratch theres always a simple wiring diagram on one of the chop sites well for most bikes anyway ,i did a wire inside the frame once now that was frustrating

cheers miffa
its the standard under mudguard brace that i have had chromed with one of our blade mudguards under it. Im going to shorten it by about 1 1/2" at the front what do you think?
I have hidden the pickup wires through the frame the rest is a modified loom with everything thats not needed removed, probably would have been easier to start from scratch
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:36 am

The good news is
we have it on its own SPOKED WHEEL as a rolling bike
the bad news is i still havent done the wiring (still filling me with dread!!

this week we have it built up as a fully rolling bike,all spacers are correctly sized, both mudguards have been lacquered as has the chain guard, the inner tank has started to be fabricated & i have even started to make the rearset plates (no pics yet as they still look a bit rough.My lad finished all this weeks jobs this morning so didnt have anything on for today, we have been trying to work out what to do with the exhaust as its a bit grotty even though it was a purpose made stainless system(probably about 10 years ago!we had a quote for the 2 downpipes from a so called mate (he is when he wants carbon bits making he is not when i want an exhaust making) the robbing git wanted £200 for the downpipes alone. anyway my lad decided to have a go at cleaning & polishing them up even if we ended up matt blacking them.See the picture below for what he did, managed to do both in an hour or so.
Im away at a trade show for 3 days next week but project bike days are
Monday is put aside for doing the electrics & my lad is getting on with mounting the rear light in the seat,fitting the aero cap in the tank & flatting the tank. & seat for lacquer.
Tuesday making the exhaust link pipe to the mega exhaust & finishing the rearset mounting plates
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_15honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_16
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_17
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:05 am

coming together real nice the polished down pipe looks great to me
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Pud wrote:
coming together real nice the polished down pipe looks great to me
yep im really happy with the polished downpipes, hes made a fantastic job, they look better than new.
cant wait to get them on the bike & get the ends going blue
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 am

cracking job so far a real credit to you .......now get some bloody rags on that paddock stand cause im gonna shout at you if that swingarm gets scratched LOL
oh ....and tell your lad theres a all expences paid holiday in the costa del black country with loads of bsa bits that need his attention Very Happy
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:55 am

miffa wrote:
cracking job so far a real credit to you .......now get some bloody rags on that paddock stand cause im gonna shout at you if that swingarm gets scratched LOL
cheers mate
too late mate it already has scratched it but on the underside.
miffa wrote:
oh ....and tell your lad theres a all expences paid holiday in the costa del black country with loads of bsa bits that need his attention
ive just bought a proper polishing set up (this was done with a buffing wheel on an electric drill stuck in the vice)as we were paying a fortune for it to be done, so if you need any bits done he will do it at a very good price
we are trying to get everything in house we have a spray booth, blasting, fabrication, carbon & fibreglass manufacturing & now polishing, the chromer is 5 mins walk away & my mate rebuilds spoked wheels for us.
just need to get a lathe & milling machine as i have to go to another mates 10 miles away to use these
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:36 am

cheers for the offer....... i do my own polishing but been after a good wheel builder for a while used to use a old guy with the most deformed arthritic hands ive ever seen in oldbury, went there last year with some harley wheels but he had died and his son that worked for him decided not to carry on with the business shame, i think our only builder this end is central wheels who charge a fortune..... anyways i would luv my hubs laced to some alloy rims sometime in the future
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 am

miffa wrote:
cheers for the offer....... i do my own polishing but been after a good wheel builder for a while used to use a old guy with the most deformed arthritic hands ive ever seen in oldbury, went there last year with some harley wheels but he had died and his son that worked for him decided not to carry on with the business shame, i think our only builder this end is central wheels who charge a fortune..... anyways i would luv my hubs laced to some alloy rims sometime in the future
let me know & ill ask my mate,he does them all day long as well as running his bike shop.
took mine to him he measured them up too a spoke or 2 out of each whell, i striped them had the alloy rim polished, painted the hubs & returned them to him to lace with new stainless spokes he had them done in a couple of days
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 pm

tony
does your man supply as well if he does it wouldnt hurt to get a price,im after 2 x wm3 19" Valanced Alloy Rims laced with stainless spokes to my hubs
cheers miffa
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 am

miffa wrote:
tony
does your man supply as well if he does it wouldnt hurt to get a price,im after 2 x wm3 19" Valanced Alloy Rims laced with stainless spokes to my hubs
cheers miffa
yes mate he can supply rims & spokes,he used 10 gauge stainless spokes on mine, ill ask him on monday as ive just got back from the Colne show yesterday & spent most of today playing with the project

Managed to get both mudguards lacquered & now fitted, fabricated a stainless collector box & my lad polished it up & got it all fitted up with the new mega on.Had some new braided oil pipes made up to the tank & fitted them along with new o rings.
Started to cut the backing plates out for the rear sets, they should be done & fitted next week
Then i WILL do the electrics
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Exhaus10
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Ehaust10
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 am

I have been a brave lad this week very brave indeed Shocked
FINALLY
I have spent most of the last 2 days sorting the electrics probably 8 hours in total.Removing all the wiring not needed like indicator, rear & brake light warning system, side stand switch & clutch switch. Also removed all those dodgy taped & crimped Honda joints replacing them with proper soldered joints covered in heat shrink & extended the cdi, starter solenoid & rectifier wires so they fit in the seat hump, the rectifier sits under the carbon undertray, see pic 2.to keep nice & cool, everything works as it should, turns over on the button & i even get a spark. Did have a panic moment when i couldnt get the clock lights (illumination not warning) so ran a positive & negative straight to the wires & still nothing put test light across the feeds & we had light, nothing i had done wrong just 4 blown bulbs in both of the clocks.
Fitted the new gold o ring chain & carbon chain guard & made the carbon number plate & rear light bracket today, unfortunately i dropped the led rear light & it now does all sorts of strange things, 3 bulbs on all the time only half the bulbs come on for the brake light, some leds brighter than others, must have cracked the pcb (ordered another one today along with a new battery)
Tomorrow i will fit the choke & throttle cables & fire her up for the first time since rebuild.
The only jobs left to do are lacquer the tank & seat & do the graphics on them, chequers down the center of both in the same colour as the rest of the bike, make the mounting brackets to fasten the seat unit to the undertray which is secured to the frame, make & fit the starter to battery / solenoid lead, wire the new rear light & fit the number plate then its done just in time for winter!!
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_18
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_19
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Photo_20
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 am

hows it coming along
Back to top Go down
gixerk5

gixerk5

PostSubject: Stunning work   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Really enjoy reading all the details and work on the project. love the colours. looking forward to more pictures..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next