Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion

Go down 
+6
beekeeper
pauliexjr
carlmt
Pud
gone fishin
carbon moto
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
carbon moto

carbon moto

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Empty
PostSubject: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:30 am

after finishing the cb750 kz for a customer we have the next project to get on with.
only stipulations we have are
1 to be road legal
2 be done to the given budget
3 to be done in 2 months completed with mot ( we still have to make the carbon parts & cafe racer seats so can only spare a couple - max hours a day at the moment)
so i can do what i really want with this little beauty.
before it came to us someone had tried to cafe it & failed miserably,
the original handlebars were put under the top yoke, had a custom stainless exhaust built
unfortunately its more like street fighter than cafe racer, & then lost the fuel tank, lucky we have a few in stock & moulds to make others
it had been left in a garage not running for a few years
started out looking like this
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_11
the first thing we did was to get it running, put fresh fuel in the small tank we use, connected a charged battery, pulled the choke on & stabbed the start button & expected nothing - it proved me wrong turning over & firing up first try & ticked over smoothly till warm then ran perfectly off the choke - hope the rest of the build goes like this
next had a play with some seats & tanks we have to get the look we want (roughly)
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_12
after a couple of hours today the bike was just a pile of bits
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_13
Back to top Go down
http://www.caferacerseats.co.uk
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am

Yesterday we had a thinking day - well ten minutes thinking & a couple of tins of diet coke.
We decided on the colour of the bike.
The frame & decals down the centre of the mudguard, tank & seat is going to be candy fools gold
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Fools_10
The tank, seat & mudguard are going to be black
well black / grey
well if im going to be honest we made the seat unit yesterday & its not going to be painted at all
have you guessed what it will be yet?
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_14
That was taken out of the mould an hour ago without any finishing, the edges want finishing & the whole lot wants flatting & lacquering, may even put a faint gold pearl in the top coat.
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 am

Today we completely striped the bike down, cut off all the unwanted brackets, main stand & subframe,
then welded some small gussets in the triangulated part where the side panels went & a bar where the subframe was cut back (to mount the light & number plate bracket)
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_16
the frame & swinging arm are off to the sand blasters on monday should have any imperfections on the standard welds filled & acid etch primed & 2 pack high build primed by wednesday/thursday.
Then a quick dry build with tank & seat before full paint on frame & swinging arm - that will take a few days as it has a silver base coat (3-4 coats), then the candy (up to 6 coats) & finally the top clear coat (4 coats).
In between the painting the frame i will be stripping & cleaning the engine (externals only as it ran perfectly) painting matt black & doing a bit of polishing
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_17
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

good thread im looking forward to seeing this finished bounce
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:00 pm

that makes two of us Basketball
Back to top Go down
carlmt

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

............me three!!!

Dont mind if I tag along for the ride fellas?

CT
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 am

more the merrier Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pauliexjr

pauliexjr

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 am

Nah, not interested.....much! Projects on a deadline, scary stuff, good luck with it Mr C-M.
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: more work   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am

The frame & swinging arm have returned from the blasters, they are using a new medium which doesnt do any harm to bearing surfaces or threaded areas, & it makes a fantastic job (did cost a bit though)honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0510
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0511
Spent a while filling & smoothing the welds that are seen & will get it in acid etch & high build primer tomorrow, maybe in silver base coat if i get time.
Over the couple of days that the frame was away i have cleaned & de-greased the engine giving the rocker cover a quickish polish with the wire brush on the drill, the covers have been sent to the polisher & all the little brackets have been painted. will post pics of engine when i get the covers back & rebuilt.
Ordered a massive lot of stainless nuts bolts washers & allen bolts for it - should do every nut bolt on bike with these.
I found a pair of rs250 spokies on ebay quite cheep, got the front fitted in the xbr forks today & it fits & lines up perfectly, just need to sort a disc out, will have a look at the rear next week honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0512
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 am

sounds like soda blasting does a wonderful job doesn't harm lass, gasket faces, rubber etc
ideal for Ali bloody expensive to buy media though about 20 quid for 5kg and you waste it all
would you tell us what you paid out of interest
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Pud wrote:
sounds like soda blasting does a wonderful job doesn't harm lass, gasket faces, rubber etc
ideal for Ali bloody expensive to buy media though about 20 quid for 5kg and you waste it all
would you tell us what you paid out of interest
the company who did it says it costs them £600 per tonne & can only use it once
they charged me £75 for the frame swinging arm side stand & torque arm, the finish is brilliant i can prime straight on it. he showed me some alloy that they did by the same method & it looked fantastic
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 pm

defo sounds like soda blasting use panel wipe or thinners to clean the frame
before painting as the process leaves a protective covering which stops paint adhering
(handy if your not going to paint straight away)
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:10 pm

yep will do,
i think im a bit paranoid with the panel wipe as all our fibre glass & carbon parts have mould release wax on.
i must do every job at least 3 times using clean cloths etc
for the extra 10mins im sure its woth it

Last edited by carbon moto on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beekeeper

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 am

agree on the soda blasting.

painting an old lambretta for a chap at the mo that was part soda, part shot blasted.

the soda parts are perfect, the shot is pummelled to death. (a fitting end to any lambretta anyway).
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm

nah dont think it could be soda blasting lads its not abrasive enough for frames ,ive had great results on carb bodys and such like
heres a link to making your own,

https://caferacer.forumotion.com/t183-how-do-i-make-carbs-shiny-clean

but there again i only use soda crystals from the super market is there a different type??

also brought a cheap blaster of ebay that works on the same principle just run it via your compressor i use kiln or glass sand in that and it clears paint,rust and all sorts of crap

but not having a blasting cabinet you have to dress up like a deep sea diver as the rebound hurts like crazy
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:19 pm

i have a gun like a spray gun for sand blasting, never tried baking soda in it but will give it a go as i have some alloy to do

[/quote]but not having a blasting cabinet you have to dress up like a deep sea diver as the rebound hurts like crazy[/quote]
when we make carbon parts we put them in a clear polythene bag to vacuum them, which we buy on the roll its 1.5m wide by 50m long, we tape one of the ends up with a mastic tape(could seal one end with packing or sellotape).
i use this for blasting in keeping one end open to work through, keeps you clean, gloves save sore fingers.
just done my moggy hot rod diff /rear axle like this - saves media too so you can re use it.
if you want a couple of meters to try pm me your addy so i can send it.
tony
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:02 pm

there is other soda the commercial grade is a lot sharper and will remove paint and rust off car body's this firm has some good vids and info

http://www.millarsodablasting.com/
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:19 am

if you want a couple of meters to try pm me your addy so i can send it.
tony

will defo take you up on that tony but pointless ATM still up to me eyes at the house still a way off finishing ,should get back up the shed october time

good videos pud i never knew commercial grade soda existed but still wouldnt tackle paint with it seems a very slow process theres others about ive never tried like bead and shell ive heard theres no metal damage with them and they must be more efficiant than soda . theres a place by me that does chemical dipping ive used them alot zero damage if the metals good and cheap to have done heres a before and after 20 quid both split tanks inside and out

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion DSC05366
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion SAM_0733
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 am

got the frame acid etched primed & high build primed, not happy with a few imperfections in the finish so a bit more filling & flatting required before getting the base coat on.
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_18
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_19
Had another play with the front end with the spoked wheel & looked up & measured various discs to suit the rs wheel, found an old cb900f disc we had kicking around & it fitted & lined up perfectly, might have to machine 2mm of the caliper mounting bracket
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 am

Not had much time to get a lot done this week as we have been very busy selling & making loads of cafe racer seats & having meetings with the web designer - new website coming soon just for cafe racer parts.
excuses over, I will be working all day sunday on this.
We have had a few new parts delivered, stainless bolts, k n style air filter & exhaust.honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0513
finished flatting, filling & re priming the frame spent 4 hours doing that!!
then managed to get the frame, swinging arm, side stand & torque arm in bright base coat silver, tomorrow the frame & swinging arm will get the candy applied & finished in top coat.
the engine has been stripped of its covers( which are at the polishers) the whole lot has been de greased & wire brushed, the rocker cover has been cleaned & lightly polished. the rest inc crank cases have been painted in gloss black engine enamel. all the bolts nuts etc have been replaced with stainless allen bolts
honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0514honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Img_0515
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

got the frame & swinging arm in the candy colour today & 1 coat of clear on
(ran out of lacquer so the other 2 coats will go on in the morning)honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Photo_20
Back to top Go down
Pud

Pud

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 pm

sweeeeeeeeeeet
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:38 pm

that will go well Cool with carbon
Back to top Go down
carbon moto

carbon moto

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 pm

today the owner came in to pay his parts bill, or thats what i thought he was going to do
instead we had the kleenex speech that goes like -
" i cant afford to do this bike anymore (even though we are well under budget so far)
lost my job girlfriend pregnant, car failed mot, etc, etc"
passed him the tissue - metaphorically speaking & told him he couldnt take the bike until he had paid the parts & labour so far.
another project never to be finished.
so instead of letting you lot down i agreed to give him a small amount of cash (well i am a yorkshire man)& let him off with what he owed us
15 mins later he came back with the log book.RESULT
Now the pressure is off to meet the deadline shall i
1 still do it in 2 months or relax with it
2 sod the budget & go all out on it
3 brake it for parts & make some ££
or 4 carry on as if nothing has changed.
SOD it - off to see the guy that does my chrome with loads of bits then ordered every other nut & bolt i dont already have in stainless,
ITS MINE NOW SO THE BUDGET WILL STRETCH SLIGHTLY but still keeping the deadline
rant now over
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

option 3 aint a option tony
finish it mate if not for you then do it for us mate, its gonna be a great bike and it will be worth far more finished than sold off as parts

been self employed for more years than i can remember and learned time and time again always expect the unexpected and never count the dollars till its in your hand
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion   honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion Empty

Back to top Go down

honda xbr500 cafe racer - we only have 2 months to completion
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next