Cafe Racer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cafe Racer Forum

Cafe Racer Forum for the Cafe Racer culture enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» gs550 7k miles cafe racer build
fork seal nightmare EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:57 pm by RussJ

» moto guzzi v50 80 build
fork seal nightmare EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:52 pm by TheMadman

» Suzuki A100
fork seal nightmare EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm by roflhat

» Triumph Trident anyone?
fork seal nightmare EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 am by pauliexjr

» Finished at last
fork seal nightmare EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 am by Kerzo

» Cagiva project
fork seal nightmare EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm by pauliexjr

» Any Londoners or South Easterners?
fork seal nightmare EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm by RussJ

» not been on here for a while
fork seal nightmare EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm by RussJ

» Honda h100A 1980, Some history and build pictures.
fork seal nightmare EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 3:07 pm by RussJ

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

fork seal nightmare

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigstu

fork seal nightmare Empty
PostSubject: fork seal nightmare   fork seal nightmare EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi guys does anyone out there know anything (more than me anyway) about the kawasaki gpz550 front fork setup.

done the fork seals twice now! the first time it went pear shaped because i was using a punch to seat the seals rather than some tube.

first time they p***ed oil everywhere soon as i put them together

second time i did them the right way,passed the mot ok and everything been ok for about 2 weeks.

just went out this afternoon for a tinker with the carbs (got a flat spot at 5k suspect dirt in carb) and there is a gurt puddle of oil under both forks and oil p***ing out around the seals.

i know the gpz has a weird air and spring suspention and i had to pressurise the forks at about 8psi when i rebuilt them.

can anyone shed anymore light on the problem?
Back to top Go down
Oncas

PostSubject: Re: fork seal nightmare   fork seal nightmare EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Did you check the stanchions for pitting / scoring ?,have you over filled with fork oil ?, if they are the correct seals as per the model and you have fitted them correctly the only other thing that comes to mind is have the stanchions been re-ground and re-chromed, the diameter might differ slightly from the original and allow oil to get past the seal, we are talking micro millimeters but thats all it would take
Back to top Go down
bigstu

PostSubject: Re: fork seal nightmare   fork seal nightmare EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes, there is some pitting on the forks, but it appears not to be low down as the lower end where the seals are.

I did also slightly overfill with oil, the haynes manual perscirbes 200cc of oil but after I filled them the forks were not smooth so I put another 50 in and they were then smooth.

I was wondering if its the air pressure forcing the oil out I cannot see from the diagram what is meant to seal the air in surly it can't be just the oil seals can it?

Any advise on these systems would be greatfully recived
Back to top Go down
gone fishin

PostSubject: Re: fork seal nightmare   fork seal nightmare EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:49 am

stu
what do u mean by smooth all the oil does is offer resistance if its not "smooth "then there must be a problem with its assembly ,the travel should be between 160 - 170mm try decreasing the amount of oil but selecting a heavier grade instead ,this will stiffen the frontend and will alter the travel to 130-140mm

as for the leaking i agree with oncas with even the smallest of imperfections the oil will seap ,are the seals seated right ? have the new seals been damaged in anyway
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fork seal nightmare   fork seal nightmare Empty

Back to top Go down

fork seal nightmare
Page 1 of 1